This Tuscan kale white bean soup is comforting, hearty, and super healthy. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and takes less than an hour to make.
I’m a big fan of cozy, hearty soups. And this Tuscan kale white bean soup is one of my favorites. It’s fresh, filling, and comforting … perfect for a cold night in! This is one of the healthiest soup recipes I know, as it’s packed full of quinoa, kale, nutritional yeast, butternut squash, and white beans. But it’s also bursting with flavor, as lemon juice and Italian seasoning make all the flavors pop.
This is a go-to weekday meal for me because it’s so easy to make. It requires very little work, and takes less than an hour from start to finish. Plus, it’s gluten-free and vegan!
What You’ll Need
Here are all the ingredients you need to make this cozy white bean soup. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the article to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Olive oil
- Onion – A red onion is best for this recipe, but you can also use a white onion, yellow onion, or 2-3 shallots.
- Italian seasoning
- Sea salt
- Cracked pepper – For best results, use freshly-cracked black pepper.
- Butternut squash
- Canned white kidney beans
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Quinoa – I prefer white quinoa for this recipe, but you can use other types.
- Vegetable broth
- Kale – Curly kale is the best for this recipe.
- Nutritional yeast
- Lemon juice – Make sure to use freshly-squeezed lemon juice.
What is Italian Seasoning?
Italian seasoning is a common spice blend. Each brand has their own mixture, but it usually includes dried basil, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and oregano. You can find Italian seasoning at the grocery store, but if you don’t have any, you can just use those individual dried herbs.
How to Make Tuscan Kale White Bean Soup
Here’s how to make this healthy and easy soup. It takes less than an hour!
- Sauté the veggies. Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat, then add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions begin to soften, which should take 2-3 minutes. Add the squash and the seasonings and cook until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes, while deglazing with water if things start to stick.
- Add the other main ingredients. Add the tomatoes, beans, quinoa, veggie broth, and water to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Cook the soup. Lower the heat to a simmer, put the lid on the pot, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the kale. Put the kale in the pot, put the lid back on, and cook until the squash is tender. This should take 5-10 minutes.
- Season. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and nutritional yeast, then serve!
Tips for Success
Here are a few tricks and tips for making the best possible Tuscan kale white bean soup.
- Make your own broth. My favorite way to make soup even better is to use homemade broth. You’ll get a richer and more complex flavor with homemade vegetable stock. I recommend using my Instant Pot mushroom vegan bone broth.
- Adjust the seasonings. When making soup, I like to go light on the salt. So many factors can impact the sodium levels in your soup, such as how long you cook it for, and how salty your broth is. So start light on the salt, and when the soup is nearly finished, taste it and adjust the seasonings.
- Add some fun toppings. I love to serve this soup with a little sprinkle of red pepper flakes on top, but there are so many different garnishes you can choose from. This soup would be great with croutons, fresh parsley, olive oil, or parmesan cheese (vegan or regular).
My favorite things to serve with a hearty soup like this are bread and salad. Here are a few items to serve it with.
- Pear and arugula salad
- Quinoa almond flour bread
- One bowl vegan pumpkin cornbread
- Gluten-free panzanella salad
- Warm detox farro salad with kale
How to Store Tuscan Kale White Bean Soup
You can keep this soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove over medium heat, or in a microwave on 80% power in 20-second increments.
Can This Recipe Be Frozen?
Yes! You can store this soup in an airtight container in the freezer for 3 months. Thaw overnight or defrost fully before reheating.
More Cozy Soups to Make
Here are a few other hearty and comforting soups for you to try making.
- Creamy vegan tomato soup
- Detox turmeric lentil soup
- Healing turmeric cauliflower soup
- Creamy vegan broccoli soup
- Detox Moroccan lentil soup
Tuscan Kale White Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 small red onion , chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 3 cups butternut squash , cubed (about 1 small)
- 1 (15 oz) can white kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups curly kale , chopped (or green of choice)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and onions and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes until the onions start to soften. Add the seasonings and squash and cook another 3 – 4 minutes until everything is super fragrant. Deglaze the pan with a splash of water as needed.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, quinoa, broth, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the kale. Cover again and cook for another 5 – 10 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Allow to cool slightly, then taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and a piece of crusty bread!